Monday, March 24, 2008

A good cause


My son David will be graduating from college in May (don't ask me how those years flew by so fast - I have no idea). David plans to teach English in Ecuador, but right after graduation will be taking a short trip to China. He is in the process of raising the needed funds for that trip. Here are some details, as written by David:

As many of you know, I will be finishing my undergraduate education this May. Many of you also know that my plan and dream is to return to Ecuador to teach English. The prospect of graduating is especially exciting to me since I will be making the formal transition from student to teacher.

I would be perfectly content to move to Ecuador after graduation to join friends and begin my career. After much prayer and advice from adults who were once in my position, however, I have decided to postpone my plans, for a time, in order to travel and gain new experiences.
Although I do not yet know the full implications of this decision, I have already begun planning for this new and exciting time. Several weeks ago, I was asked if I would be interested in joining a team from my church who would be traveling to China this summer to teach English. Needless to say, my decision was not a difficult one to make!

So, this May 16th, I will fly from Tampa to Yinchuan, China, a city in north, central China. Led by my church’s Community Life Pastor, Jack Piquette, who recently moved back to Florida after having lived in Yinchuan with his family for two years, our team will work in one of the universities in Yinchuan, teaching English, building relationships, and serving the faculty in any way we can.


My hope is that we will not only be able to help those in China with whom we come in contact, but that this experience will open doors and yield more opportunities for me to serve in the upcoming year before I return to Ecuador.


Right now, everyone on the team is preparing for the trip in several ways. One way we are preparing is by asking for the support of family and friends. Not surprisingly, one of the areas we need support is finances. The total cost for each member to go on this trip is $2,000. So, please keep us in your prayers, and, if possible, please consider joining those who have already given to make this trip possible. If you are able to assist financially, please make checks out to Clearwater Community Church and put “David Johnson – China” on the memo line – (by early April, if possible).

Thank you all SO much for your help!
Finally, when I return, I will be posting pictures from the trip. So, if you’re interested in seeing those, check back here in late May for the “debriefing”. Thanks again! David

If you are able to help David with this trip, he would greatly appreciate it! Please mail your check to:

Clearwater Community Church
2897 Belcher Road
Dunedin, FL 34698