Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Where Scott works


Okay, I have had a few people ask what I am doing these days. Now that I don't have hundreds of people calling me regularly to fix their computers or teach them how to use some piece of software, what am I doing to fill my days? Here's the story.

Even before moving to Florida, I knew I wanted to go into the mortgage business. There were a few reasons for this:

1. I knew that I could not bring all of my clients to Florida with me, no matter how much they may have wanted to come. So, to continue in the computer business, I would be starting from scratch to build up a base of business again.

2. I was actually getting a bit bored with the computer work. Not with the computer customers, mind you - meeting people and working with my customers was always a great joy. But the work itself had become not very challenging. I would generally see the same problems over and over. I needed to do something that would challenge my mind again.

3. I love to help people. That was partly my reasoning for becoming an EMT in Maine a couple of years ago, and it was a big part of why I enjoyed being the Computer Tutor. In mortgage work, I help people get money that they need. In some cases, I help people get into a house that they want - maybe the first house they have ever owned. There is a reward in that.

4. I love putting "deals" together - it requires some creative thinking, and a little skill with math. I have to look at all angles of a situation - what the customer wants, what the customer qualifies for, what the company allows me to do, and how I can put all the factors together to come up with a solution that works for all parties involved.

So, after getting "sort of" settled in here in Florida, I started doing some research and interviewing with mortgage companies. In early October, I accepted a position of Mortgage Professional with Foundation Financial Group in downtown Tampa. It's quite a bit different from going to work down the hallway at my home office in Maine! I am on the 19th floor of the Bank of America building (remember in January of 2002, right after 9/11, when a small plane piloted by a teenager flew into a building in Florida? That is the building where I work now).

It takes me about a half hour to get to work each day. I get there between 8 and 8:30 am, and I usually leave around 7 pm. That's Monday through Thursday. If I get a week's worth of work done in those four days, Friday is optional. I really like the attitude of the company and management - do your work, meet expectations, and no one will bother you about coming and going when you want. Of course, having just started a month ago, I work every Friday as standard procedure. I still have a lot to learn and it is too soon to be thinking about days off.

The target market that FFG concentrates on are people that have had some credit problems in the past, and might have trouble getting a loan now. These are people that aren't usually "deadbeats" - they just ran into some hard times, got laid off, maybe went through a rough divorce, or had some medical bills that caused them to get behind in paying some bills. Now they are back on track and just need some help in figuring out what to do. I do a lot of credit counseling, helping people get incorrect or unverifiable items off their credit report, and teaching them what they need to do to increase their credit score. In fact, I have discovered a "secret weapon" that many people don't know about - it's a way to increase someone's credit score by 10-30 points in a matter of a few weeks or a month, without any cost to the client.

Anyway, that's what I do now. So don't be too surprised if you see a text ad or banner ad here or in my email newsletter that offers my readers help with getting refinanced! In fact, if you have had some credit problems in the past, or even if you have good credit, or you want to get out of an adjustable rate mortgage, or you need some cash out or a lower monthly payment, give me a call at 1-866-822-5333, extension 3525. I am happy to discuss what we can do for you.