Saturday, September 29, 2007

Taking the plunge

The computer that I currently use is a Dell Dimension 4550 and was purchased in March of 2003. My industry standards, that is getting pretty old. It has gotten loaded with tons of software over the years and gradually become slower and slower. Now it is at the point where I have decided to wipe everything out (reformat the drive) and reinstall Windows XP.

Really, this is a good thing to do for your computer from time to time anyway. It basically takes your computer back to the state it was in on the day you purchased it. Of course, no one ever wants to do this because it's a pain trying to be sure that everything you need is saved to another drive. I have made lists and double checked, so I think that anything important enough to save is backed up. Now I am going to physically open up the case and blow out the dust, dog hair, and other various foreign particles that collect inside there. The reformat process will begin shortly after that.

I say all this just to let you know that if you don't see a new blog post here on Monday, you will know that something went wrong and I am probably sprouting additional gray hairs this weekend.

Update: All went well - computer is back up and computing much faster than it was previously.